Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Inspiration

From time to time, I like to take a few minutes and reflect on why I became a teacher. Recently I was thinking about how my experiences in High School have influenced my career choice. When I was in ninth grade, I was a member of a (now successful) pilot program called The Expedition Academy at my high school. Influenced by Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound, a teaching methodology created by Harvard University and influenced by the educational work of Kurt Hahn, ELOB seeks to create lifelong learners, compassionate human beings, and responsible stewards of the earth. This program had a huge impact on my life through the learning that occurred. Reading books like Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and Nectar Through A Sieve (I can't remember the author) influenced my learning and made me grow by leaps and bounds. Both of the academic area teachers who taught me became friends and influences, and i became very close to everyone in the class as a result of the backpacking and camping trips and strenuous classroom work. One of the teachers, an English teacher, showed me that teaching is the single most important profession and that being an educator can have a deep and long lasting impact on students. As an Art Educator, I hope to inspire and influence my students in much the same way that my Exped teachers influenced me to be the most intelligent, caring, and best person I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment